Friday, November 13, 2009

Salt Shaker Photo Stand Tutorial


While standing in my art studio yesterday I glanced at my collection of salt-n-pepper shakers sitting so lonely on a shelf & thought of this idea.
{It's an easy project too!}


You'll need:

  •  Salt/Pepper Shakers: Thrift stores are a great place to find 'em. Also, pop into your local antique shops/malls. They are not very expensive at all. The most I might have paid for any of mine were $3.95 for a pair.
  • Wire: Whatever wire will fit the holes in the shakers will work. I used a 20 gauge craft wire from a company called The Beadery, purchased at my local craft store.
  • Needle-nose Pliers
  • Salt
  • Photos
 First, catch the end of the wire in your pliers & slowly twist around & around until you get this spiral shape.


 Make lots of different sizes of wire spirals. You might want to measure how much wire you'll need for each spiral, depending on the size of your salt/pepper shaker. If your wire is too long & you stick it into a petite shaker, the whole piece will be top-heavy & easily fall over.


 To help with stability & to keep your wire from spinning around, add salt to your shaker.


Carefully slide your photo between the loops of the spiral.


And THAT, my crafty friends, is IT!!


I can totally picture these scattered around a Thanksgiving table!
 Or, propped on a sweet shelf in a kitchen or dining room.


9 comments:

  1. LOve it! What a fun idea! I may just try it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yet another AWESOME idea, girlie!!! You are just so much fun!
    Hugs,
    Christina
    ox

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea. Very crafty idea. Thank you for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. these are too cute... what a great idea for placecard holders..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Linked to your project from Dollar Store Crafts today: http://dollarstorecrafts.com/2010/01/salt-shaker-photo-holder/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey it's Paula from EWATeam. How did I not know how awesome your blog is?!? I found it through dollar store crafts. Very awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OOOOOOOO... another nifty use for those wires from Chinese delivery boxes!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. Every time you do, I do a little happy dance. For reals.